Advanced Gynaecological Surgery Centre
Patient Info

Do you need to see a Gynaecologist

  • Many gynaecological issues can be managed by your GP without the need for a referral to a specialist.
  • Routine pap smears, like most primary screening tests, should be performed by your GP.  This enables your primary care giver (your GP) to provide a holistic approach to your healthcare including monitoring your general health and well being such as blood pressure, cholesterol, mammograms and other screening tests.
  • Menopausal symptoms, irregular and or painful periods and many “functional” ovarian cysts can initially be managed conservatively by your GP with referral to a Gynaecologist if symptoms are not responding to conservative management.
  • Issues which may require referral to a Gynaecologist include:
    • Persistent heavy or painful periods not responding to conservative management such as the oral contraceptive pill
    • Significant post menopausal bleeding (bleeding after menopause)
    • Infertility/Fertility Issues
    • Persistent or significant gynaecological problems which require specialist treatment. These include ovarian cysts that are symptomatic, large, unusual or have not resolved over a period of time; endometriosis requiring surgical treatment and prolapse that is causing symptoms.
    • Abnormalities of the uterus including fibroids and polyps that effect menstrual function or fertility.
    • Significant or persistent pap smear abnormalitieswhen colposcopy has been recommended.
    • Requests for tubal sterilisation or reversal of tubal sterilisation.
    • Urinary incontinence